News Releases

12/12/2014: 20th Anniversary of “Booze It & Lose It” Commemorated with New Website, Video Series

20th Anniversary of “Booze It & Lose It” Commemorated with New Website, Video Series

Posted 12/12/2014 9:47:27 AM

RALEIGH – The holidays are a joyous time of year often celebrated by gathering with friends and family. Too often, though, people make the decision to get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol. This choice can lead to deadly consequences, as it did for the 378 people who lost their lives in alcohol-related crashes on North Carolina roadways last year, including 35 in December alone. “The safety of our citizens is my top priority, especially during the holiday season,” said Governor Pat McCrory. “I encourage everyone to plan ahead and designate a sober driver when alcohol is involved to ensure they get home safely. Law enforcement officers will be out day and night to catch drivers who break the law.” Although the number of drunk driving deaths in North Carolina has consistently declined year after year, drinking and driving continues to be responsible for nearly 28 percent of fatalities on our state’s roads. To raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving and show how it impacts lives, the N.C. Department of Transportation and the Governor’s Highway Safety Program kicked off the Holiday “Booze It & Lose It” campaign earlier today in Asheville and launched BoozeItandLoseIt.org.   The centerpiece of the new website is the “20|20 Hindsight” video series, which includes 20 personal stories illustrating from very different perspectives the dire consequences of drinking and driving. Each video concludes with the message “See the stories. Learn the Lessons.” The goal of that message is to encourage those who visit the website to take the stories to heart and do their part to save lives by never getting behind the wheel after drinking.  “These powerful stories are a reminder that every alcohol-related crash has a face and a devastating impact on families," said Mike Charbonneau, Deputy Secretary of Communications. “One crash and death is too many and we hope that our ‘20|20 Hindsight’ series resonates with drivers to help us eliminate these tragedies." 229,103 alcohol-related crashes and 8,469 deaths have occurred on North Carolina highways since 1994, when the ‘Booze It & Lose It’ campaign started. In addition to the“20|20 Hindsight” video series, BoozeItandLoseIt.org also provides a history of “Booze It & Lose It,” national and statewide statistics, safety tips and an overview of North Carolina’s current DWI law. The Holiday “Booze It & Lose It” campaign begins today, Dec. 12, and runs through Jan. 4, 2015. For additional information about “Booze It & Lose It”, contact Heather Jeffreys at (919) 707-2665, or visit the GHSP website. ***NCDOT***
Release Image
Click this image to view at original resolution

View on NCDOT.gov

10/17/2014: NCDOT to Emphasize Top Five Tips during National Teen Driver Safety Week

NCDOT to Emphasize Top Five Tips during National Teen Driver Safety Week

Posted 10/17/2014 4:12:15 PM

RALEIGH – Car crashes are the leading cause of death for 14-18 year olds in North Carolina. In an effort to save young lives, the N.C. Department of Transportation and the Governor’s Highway Safety Program are partnering during National Teen Driver Safety Week, which starts Sunday, to educate teens about the top five ways they can stay safe behind the wheel. “Teen drivers ages 16-20 comprise just 7 percent of the population in North Carolina, yet they accounted for 13 percent of all crashes and 9 percent of fatal crashes last year,” said GHSP Director Don Nail. “In order to bring those numbers down to zero, we ask parents to help emphasize our safety messages and teens to follow the rules of the road.” National Teen Driver Safety Week seeks to boost teen driver safety by challenging parents to engage their teens in ongoing discussion about critical driving practices that could prevent them from being involved in a crash. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s “5 to Drive” campaign addresses the five most dangerous and deadly behaviors for teen drivers. The “5 to Drive” rules are: 1.         No Drinking and Driving. 2.         Buckle Up. Every Seat. Every Time. 3.         Put It Down. One Text or Call Could Wreck It All. 4.         Stop Speeding Before It Stops You. 5.         No More than One Passenger at a Time. GHSP encourages teens and their parents to visit Safety City at the N.C. State Fair in Raleigh to learn firsthand about driving safety and interact with many of the “5 to Drive” elements. At Safety City, fairgoers can tour GHSP’s Breath Alcohol Testing (BAT) Mobile Unit, ride in seatbelt convincers that simulate a crash at 5-7 mph, and see the aftermath of a distracted driving crash. Safety City is located behind Dorton Arena and open each day from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. All activities and materials are free of charge. In 2012, young drivers 16-20 years old were involved in 45,517 crashes in North Carolina. Young male drivers were involved in 53 percent of those crashes. Of the fatal crashes involving 16-20 year old drivers and passengers, 60 percent were not wearing their seatbelts, which is why GHSP reminds everyone that it is North Carolina law to buckle up – every seat, every time. National Teen Driver Safety Week begins Oct. 19 and runs through Oct. 25. For more information about it and NHTSA’s “5 to Drive” campaign, visit http://www.safercar.gov/parents/fivetodrive.htm.   ***NCDOT***
View on NCDOT.gov

4/12/2012: “No Need 2 Speed” Nets Nearly 13,500 Speeders

“No Need 2 Speed” Nets Nearly 13,500 Speeders

Posted 4/12/2012 9:53:28 AM

RALEIGH — The Governor’s Highway Safety Program announced today that state and local law enforcement officers cited 13,435 motorists for speeding during the “No Need 2 Speed” Campaign, which ran April 2-8. A total of 39,150 traffic and criminal citations were issued statewide. “State and local law enforcement agencies made a tremendous effort to make our highways safer and to remind motorists to obey the speed limit during this campaign,” said Becky Wallace, director of GHSP. Officers also issued 2,832 safety belt and 426 child passenger safety violations and 1,003 drug charges. In addition, they apprehended 819 fugitives from justice and recovered 51 stolen vehicles. For county-by-county citation totals or more information about “No Need 2 Speed”, visit the Governor's Highway Safety Program website. ***NCDOT***
Release Image
Click this image to view at original resolution

View on NCDOT.gov

4/4/2012: There is “No Need 2 Speed” While Traveling

There is “No Need 2 Speed” While Traveling

Posted 4/4/2012 1:43:55 PM

RALEIGH – Speeding is one of the top three causes of crashes on North Carolina’s highways. In an effort to reduce speeds and make our highways safer, the N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program along with the state and local law enforcement kicked off the “No Need 2 Speed” campaign on Monday to cite speeders for not obeying speed limits. N.C. SHP along with local police departments and sheriff offices across the state have stepped up patrols on North Carolina’s roads. The stepped up patrols will continue through Sunday, April 8. While you are behind the wheel, remember these tips to get you to your destination safely: Obey the speed limit. In 2011, speeding was a contributing factor in about 33 percent of crashes in North Carolina; those crashes resulted in 428 fatalities and 39,416 injuries; Pay attention. The latest research shows that you are 23 times more likely to crash your vehicle if you text while driving. Other distractions in your vehicle may include eating and drinking, grooming, using a navigation system or adjusting your stereo; Plan ahead before you leave home so you know where you are going and how long it will take you to get there. You can visit the travel page on the NCDOT website at http://ncdot.gov/travel/ to learn about road construction, crashes, weather conditions or other incidents that may affect your travel time. Also, you can call 511, North Carolina’s toll-free travel information line, for real-time alerts and updates. Dangerous driving can be reported to local law enforcement by dialing 911 from anywhere in the state. For more information on “No Need 2 Speed”, go to the Governor's Highway Safety Program website. ***NCDOT***
Release Image
Click this image to view at original resolution

View on NCDOT.gov

4/2/2012: “No Need 2 Speed” Campaign Begins Today

“No Need 2 Speed” Campaign Begins Today

Posted 4/2/2012 11:49:52 AM

RALEIGH –The Governor’s Highway Safety Program Director Becky Wallace along with N.C. State Highway Patrol Lt. Col. Wellington Scott and Richmond County Sheriff James Clemmons, Jr. kicked off the “No Need 2 Speed” Campaign today at the Rockingham Speedway. During the week-long campaign, which lasts today through Sunday, April 8, local and state law enforcement agencies will conduct stepped up patrols and enforcement to cite speeders and other traffic law violators on North Carolina’s highways. “Speeding can be deadly,” said GHSP Director Becky Wallace. “In North Carolina last year, there were 428 speed-related fatalities and 412 of those fatalities were unbelted. Our partnerships with law enforcement to strictly enforce North Carolina speed limits are crucial to keeping our highways safe.” Officers will focus their efforts on all roads, including interstates, major highways, rural two-lane roads and city streets across the state. During the “No Need 2 Speed” campaign in March 2011, state and local law enforcement agencies cited 12,476 motorists for speeding. Dangerous driving can be reported to local law enforcement by dialing 911 from anywhere in the state. For more information on “No Need 2 Speed”, go to the Governor's Highway Safety Program website. ***NCDOT***
Release Image
Click this image to view at original resolution

View on NCDOT.gov